Dec 15, 2007

Saving time during our Christmas cooking


I was thinking this morning. How could I help my readers this Christmas who will do a lot of cooking because they are expecting many guests.

I know sometimes I have prepared parties for friends and family and we end up being a whole group of 30-40 people. And everyone wonders how did you do that and you have that fresh look on your face?

Here's my secret.
1) I plan ahead - this means I plan plenty of time ahead as I do not like last minute preparations as I have seen many people wait until last minute and then if things do not work out they get stressed.
This evening I have already gone through my cook books and I have already prepared a list of dishes for Christmas. With already the dishes to be cooked on paper and confirmations are coming in for the friends who will be able to join us means that i have plenty of time to get the shopping list done plus go shopping.

Going through my list of dishes I will cook means I know what I can already prepare the day before to save time on the actual Christmas day.

And On the big day? I know I have to wake up at 6 in the morning and start the cooking, the most important thing is I need to make sure that as I work I keep cleaning the dishes (pots and utensils that I'm using) and working place. How does this help me? It helps me not have a mountain of dishes and cooking pots to clean after everyone is gone.
These are some of my rules when I have to cook for a number of friends.

Keep reading friends and sharing.

In the next few days I will be sharing some of the dishes I have planned for Christmas.

2 comments:

'Chef' said...

Hi Mary!
I appreciate your tips for planning in advance for large gatherings. I use most of these tips in my catering business as well.
I'm looking forward to your Christmas menu - I'm preparing mine, and looking for something a little different than the dishes I usually prepare.

Shelia said...

Hi Mary! Thanks for the tip. I stopped doing a ton of cooking during the Christmas holidays. I find that after Thanksgiving everyone seems to more interested in more appetizer type foods, so I keep plenty of that around.

But for those who will be cooking your tips are great!