Warning - A Low GI Diet Can Seriously Improve Your HealthAuthor: Gill Chandler
Over the years many fad diets have come and gone, most of them having short-lived results or detrimental effects on general health. There is one diet however, that has stood the test of time and is a sensible eating program that not only helps you to lose weight but also has many major health benefits. This is the Low GI diet.
GI stands for Glycemic Index and in simple terms, is a measure of food in your blood sugar. Foods with a high GI index (such as white breads, sweets, chips etc.) are converted quickly into glucose and foods with a low GI index (such as breads with grains, nuts and seeds, vegetables and fruit) are converted slowly.
If high levels of glucose enter the bloodstream the body panics and therefore releases too much insulin which can lead to weight gain. If this happens too often the cells that normally respond to glucose become resistant to its signals and can lead to many health problems.
There are many benefits to be gained by following a Low GI diet, some of which are listed here.
1. Healthy heart. According to research, women who eat lots of refined carbohydrates have 10% less good cholesterol, which keeps the heart healthy, in their bloodstream than those on a low GI diet. Also it is found that they have 76% more triglycerides, a particularly toxic form of fat. Also women who switched just one serving of refined carbohydrates to whole grains each day cut their risk of stroke by 40%.
2. Increased Fertility.Imbalances in blood sugar can reduce the body’s ability to handle progesterone, the hormone that is vital for a successful pregnancy.
3. Cut PMS symptoms. PMS (Pre menstrual syndrome) has also been linked to erratic blood sugar levels.
4. Reduce risk of developing diabetes. Following a low GI diet will dramatically cut your risk of developing diabetes. If you already suffer from diabetes, you will be able to control your condition more effectively by keeping blood glucose levels more stable.
5. Boost your immune system. Sugary foods attack your immune system. When fighting illness, white blood cells constantly destroy germs, but when exposed to sugar this ability is dramatically reduced so you will be more vulnerable to picking up germs and fighting them off.
6. Cut down risk of some cancers. A diet that is rich in high GI foods may increase the risk of breast cancer. High levels of insulin can trigger an increase in insulin-like growth hormones which can encourage breast cancer cells to grow. Pancreatic cancer has also been linked to a high GI diet.
7. Live longer. People with high levels of vitamin C in their blood can live up to 6 years longer than those with lower levels. A high GI diet can decrease the amount of vitamin C you absorb from food by 25%. This is because glucose and vitamin C enter cells in the same way and if there is too much glucose around, less vitamin C is absorbed.
It is obviously a good idea to make some changes to your diet and lifestyle, particularly if you eat a lot of sweet or processed foods. By following a Low GI diet you will give yourself the healthy body you deserve.
About the Author:
Gill Chandler has put together a complimentary report that will help you to acheive the body you desire and improve your health. To download it instantly visit http://www.theslimsite.com
Article Source: ArticlesBase.com - Warning - A Low GI Diet Can Seriously Improve Your Health